New Year Membership Message from PGA General Manager
New Year Membership Message from Monarch's PGA General Manager, Eric Lohman
Click below to learn more:
Some Cool New Events
Crown Club GolfBoards
Crown Club Member Survey
On behalf of myself and the 100+ team members and support staff of Monarch Beach Golf Links, the Monarch Café and our Golf & Lifestyle retail store I would like to thank you for your patronage and support in 2016. We enjoyed the privilege of taking care of your golfing and recreational needs. 2016 was an exciting year, but we feel that 2017 might be even better. With that being said here a few things to look forward to…..
As you may or may not know we have begun selling and renewing our 2017 Crown Club Cardmember Programs
. We carried over the same programs from 2016, but each one was slightly changed to be more tailored to our guest’s requests and needs. We also look forward to offering up more programming and member benefits throughout the year to all members such as; family events, couples, juniors, clinics, demo days, Golf & Lifestyle retail store sales, wine and dine occasions.
2017 Crown Club-
Price to join stayed the same at $169 before March 31st
. Along with special flexible pricing starting at $92 during the week and $119 to play on weekends, members can now kick start their weekend with a rate starting at $92 on Fridays before 9am. Members can continue to bring up to 3 guests and book up to 5 days in advance for a preferred tee time with their guests only having to pay $15 more to join them and to play. Also remember that Monarch offers all members discounts at the numerous Food and Beverage outlets at the Monarch Beach Resort
and Golf Links
including Club 19
(clubhouse) and Monarch Café
(adjacent to the 1st
green) along with special pricing on retail, lessons and much more. Finally Monarch will continue to offer its members a Best Price Guarantee
on all golf hard goods such as golf shoes, clubs, balls and bags. We will either match or beat any retail or online pricing that is over our cost. Guaranteed!!!!
Royal Crown Club-
As a result of the overwhelming popularity of this program we are limiting it to only 200 participants in 2017 and the price to join will be $549. Membership includes fixed pricing for member and up to 7 additional guests (same low price) and tee times can be booked as far as 14 days in advance to secure the most desirable start date and time. Plus, the Royal Crown Club has all the same benefits as the Crown Club Cardmember program.
Junior Crown Club-
We will continue to offer this great program to allow our community based junior golfers an affordable way to enjoy Monarch Beach in the afternoons. The price to join will be $119 and includes a SCGA GHIN handicap.
Last but not least we are continuing to offer our annual Unlimited Golf Membership
. This membership also has an opportunity to be more incorporated with the Monarch Beach Resort
and their resort membership offerings. All inquiries for that
membership will be directed to Natalie Hudgens, Senior Membership Sales Manager at the Monarch Beach Resort. Natalie can be reached at 949.234.3827 or by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some Cool New Events and Programming
In 2017 we look forward to hosting more member events, engaging our Men’s Club more, running more Lady “Play Days” and clinics, and introducing more ways for our members and their guests to enjoy our facility. Here is a just a slice of the pie.
- Margarita Golf-Sample different margaritas (or kiddie cocktails), while playing a putting course on our 5th green & listening to music.
- Clinic, Contest and Cocktail (“Love Birdies” over the Valentine’s Weekend)-For a nominal fee enjoy this happy hour relaxed type of golf experience with friends and family.
- Back 9 and Dine/Front Nine and Wine- Tee it up early or late and enjoy a kick start to your day or evening!!!
- Men's Club- Most Saturdays you can expect to golf along with fellow members in a friendly Skins Game beginning at 7:30am.
- Crown Club Member Guest Days- Enjoy a discounted rate of only $75 for you and up to 3 guests on select days and times during the year. First Member Guest Day will take place on January 18th at 11:30am.
- Ladies Play Days and Clinic-Join the resort’s Senior Sales Membership Manager Natalie Hudgens and Golf’s Sales and Marketing Manager Jackie Kazarian as they host a fun group of golfers either on a play day or a golf clinic featuring one of our PGA trained and certified instructors. Great way to meet new people and learn to play the great game.
- Summer Camps for Junior Golfers and Tiny Tees-For local or visiting children ages 3 and older. Tiny Tees is a great intro to the game for those ages 3 to 7 and our junior camps will help introduce the game in a fun, group setting with dynamic instructors and camp counselors. Featuring the basic fundamentals, proper etiquette, practicing with a purpose and some course time.
- Golf Board Tours-Come out in the late afternoon; rent a board, tour the Ocean Loop and catch the sunset. Golf boards aren’t just for golfers, but for their friends and families too.
- Practice Loop-On select days during Daylight Savings we will be opening a practice facility in the afternoon on our Ocean Loop (holes 1 to 5.) Hit some balls on our modified driving range on hole 1. Take a golf board out or walk and play holes 2-4 and utilize hole 5 as a short game center.
- Be on the lookout for Specialty Events such as Night Golf, Mardis Gras and Oktoberfest along with Golf + Wine, Beer, Scotch and Whiskey Events at either the Monarch Café or Club 19.
Greener Pastures With No More Turf Over-seed
One of the biggest and most exciting change for 2017 and beyond is our decision to no longer over-seed our Bermuda grass turf in the fall with Rye grass.
For years we have struggled to provide our golfers consistently good turf conditions. We would enjoy good conditions beginning right after the over-seed grew in early November and lasting until the beginning of summer. These past few years starting in late spring we witnessed our cool season Rye grass turf begin to burn off. Unfortunately our Bermuda grass base was eroding as a result of our poor soil, reclaimed water usage and lack of any significant rain fall. The result was too many areas without adequate turf coverage.
We have elected to stop the over-seed process and promote Bermuda grass year round. We have already drastically improved our traditionally worst areas on holes 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14 and 18. We have also worked hard to improve parts of holes 3, 6, 7, 12 and 16. Moving forward we will continue identifying problematic areas and make improvements to the soil profile, drainage and sod with Bermuda grass. Right now our plan is to address parts of 6, 7, 12 and 16 in April 2017 and possibly accomplish this all at the same time over a one week period.
Ultimately our goal is to eradicate all cool season turf, starting with our fairways in spring 2017 and create one mono-strand of Bermuda grass, which will look and play the best year round. This decision will lead us to sustainability by requiring less water, fertilizers and other inputs. The result will be an improved and more consistent playing surface for all of our guests, no matter when they choose to play with us.
Finally, by not having to focus most of our energies on sodding turf each summer and over-seeding in the fall, we will be able to
work on improving our putting surfaces, paying more attention to creating consistent bunkers and beautifying our internal and peripheral landscaping.
Crown Club Golfboards promotion until Feb. 28th, 2017
Hopefully by now you have had the pleasure of enjoying one of our GolfBoards.
Our fleet of 12 GolfBoards
is the newest and coolest way to "Surf the Earth."
Whether you grew up a "boarder", or envious of those that could, our GolfBoards
are easy to learn how to use and offer just a bit of OC fun to your regular foursome, special event or 9 holes before or after work.
Please take the 6+ minutes to watch our safety/educational video and get pre-certified to rent a board for your next round.
Click here to pre register to surf during your next round at the Beach
To further entice you, we have created a limited time offer for our Members to enjoy a "Members Only" promotion to ride the
boards. Through February 28th, 2017 Golf board rental fees for Crown Club members and their guests will be $15 Monday-Thursday or $20 Friday to Sunday. During this trial promotion Golfboards can be reserved up to 24 hours in advance.
Crown Club Member Retail Survey
From now through the end of January 2017 Monarch's Golf & Lifestyle Store
will be conducting an online survey to gauge the awareness, shopping desires and buying trends of its Crown Club members. We are dedicated and determined to be the #1 purchasing resource for our member's golf equipment and resort attire needs. We thank each member who participates and provides us with this invaluable feedback.
Thank you again for your support and for making Monarch Beach the coolest golf destination in Orange County. With our recent acknowledgement as a Gold Medal Recognized Golf Resort by Golf Magazine (2016-2017) the bar has been raised for Monarch and we are encouraged and excited to not only stay there but to keep making the necessary improvements to the facility and operations. With a goal to top the review lists on Yelp, Trip Advisor, Golf Advisor, Greenskeeper.org, Google and Facebook, what’s to stop us?
Happy New Year and we can’t wait to host you in 2017!!!
Eric Lohman, PGA General Manager
Monarch Beach Golf Links
OB Sports Management